Re: [AV Media Matters] Phono pre-amp

I had considered this for use in my studio but found 2 major design
flaws:

Turnover and rolloff are not separate but combined, severly limiting
the device's flexibility.

There is no "vertical" switch which prevents playing of vertically
cut grooves- Pathe, Edison, many transcriptions, etc.

Without the "vertical" option, it is not possible to null out the
two lateral groove signals, left and right.  In my experience, a
great many 78s are not cut vertically but cant to one side or the
other.  This is particularly true of non-commercial discs.  Though
the balance control can make up for this when the discrepency
becomes audible enough, it is more often quite subtle- something's
wrong but you can't figure out what. Nulling out as a matter of
routine bypasses this issue.

I checked a page or two of the site.  The author's coyness
concerning price is disturbing.  I couln't find it.  In my opinion,
this should always be clear and near the top, no more than one
screen down.  When this is not the case, I always assume it is too
expensive for me and usually discontinue looking if the price is not
clear and up-front.

I believe the design and presentation of this device should be
rethought before offering it to the ariching community.

Steven Smolian