Re: [AV Media Matters] odor of audio cassette tapes

Hannah,
Hi, it is Stuart Rohre out at Pickle Campus.  Is the odor that of
vinegar,
or something pungent like that?

Can't say I have noticed any odor, but I will see if I have that brand
and
take a whiff, or have someone with a better nose than mine do so, and
get
back to you.

A very sharp odor is put out by the amine compound in binder breakdown.
Something more pungent than vinegar, more sharp like ammonia, if that is
meaningful.  Sometime, I could maybe find an old tape we are retiring
from
archives, and get it to you for an odor standard on binder breakdown.
Once
you ever smell one, you will pick up on it at very preliminary states of
breakdown.

Stuart
Applied Research Labs, ESL
Tape Archive