[AV Media Matters] Usual Summer Update... Spam and more

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere - welcome to summer. At this
time many of you are taking a well deserved vacation - but I must
request that you please do NOT put your autoreply on your email account
- there are now about 850 members in this list and if you all did that -
well let's just say I wouldn't get much work done! If you MUST use the
autoreply due to a work policy, then please go to your account at
www.topica.com and put your email delivery for the media matters list on
hold, and then turn it back on when you return.

For those of you who are relatively new to the list, you will notice
that the postings are irregular. That is because it is a moderated list.
The good news is that no spam gets through and you get 100 percent good
stuff. The bad news is that I can't always read and release the emails
on a daily basis, and sometimes it is quite a while before they are
posted.

I did want to let everyone know that recently we have become more of a
"target" for spammers, with people trying to enroll on the list in order
to get subscriber names or send spam directly over the list. I have now
instituted a "policy" of asking new potential subscribers with
suspicious account names in an email what their interest in the list is.
If I get a reasonable reply they are subscribed. If I get no reply or a
really lame one they are not subscribed. What is a suspicious account
name? Well ones like "makemoremoney3299@hotmail.com" are ones that get
my attention. So I am trying to be a good gatekeeper on this, but the
reality is that some may get through. I have a 0 tolerance rule - if
they try to post spam and I get the posting to review, I obviously don't
post and throw them off the list. Also, I am the only person who can
view the entire subscriber list, BUT they still could email you directly
if you have sent a post, or worse add your list to a spam list by going
through the postings archive. The only way to stop that would be to
remove the archive from being able to be seen by everyone, and I think
that it is far more useful to make it available to the subscribers.
Still, the possibility does exist.

I am also currently allowing attachments that are less then 100K in
length as well as HTML postings. I can turn this off if people would
prefer, but 100K seems to be a reasonable size even for us with dial up
access only. I personally am very careful about attachments and virus
but please be careful and make sure you take proper precautions - it is
possible for one to slip through - if in doubt never ever open an
attachment.

So have a nice summer, thanks for participating on the list,

James Lindner

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org