RE: [AV Media Matters] Uncompressed digital tape

scott_turner@wgbh.org wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the probability that the market will soon provide a
> "reasonably" priced uncompressed digital videotape in the near future?
> I'm asking because some of our productions are considering transferring
> their archived 1-inch masters to digital beta.  Does anyone see a format
> that will replace digital beta?
>
> Thanks.
> Scott Turner
> WGBH Archives

I think 0% if you think in terms of a "video format". If you consider
video as data - there are many options and I think that there will be
many more ways of storing video data (or any other kind of data). As I
have mentioned on this list and elsewhere - I would also look more for
lossLESS compression options which have the advantages of no loss
(visual or bitwise) and a more compact file size. A Terrabyte used to be
allot of storage. No Longer. I would expect to see a TB in a single
spindle disk unit no later then 2005 - there is research being done in
many areas to support that assertion. A good article to look at is:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/innovation50702.asp
Tape has already proven to be unreliable, big - and very - well -
linear. Tape will be expensive compared to Hard Drives in the not too
distant future. I suggest you start looking in different areas for good
archival solutions.

James Lindner

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org