RE: [AV Media Matters] Uncompressed digital tape

The chances of anyone making a "reasonably priced" uncompressed digital
videotape format is very, very slim.  The data rates are simply enormous
and
compression techniques work too well for most end users to notice the
difference.  The various (Japanese) manufacturers are only interested in
making machines that they can sell in large quantities because that is
the
only way they can make money and that is the only way a format can
become
reasonably priced.  Lacking a large market for an uncompressed format,
it
is doubtful they will ever develop such a machine.  As for what format
will
replace digibeta, my crystal ball is very cloudy.  The Japanese format
wars
are ongoing and eternal.

Charles Repka

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org