Re: [AV Media Matters] Magnetic fields

Hello - My name is Larry Picciano, I live and work in
the US.  It has been a while since I have performed
studies regarding electromagnetic compatibility, but I
have researched such issues regarding medical devices
and consumer electronics - so I understand your
concern (everyone should have similar).

Here's what I can offer to you from memory.  Ship
radar is a very high frequency and narrowly focused
beam.  The magnetic portion of the energy field (again
in the contour of a beam) is relatively weak under
normal circumstances.  So, unless your archives are
directly in the path of the beam and close to the
source, you should be fine.  Now, if the media were
stored close to power supplies, magnets, etc. then
you'd be in trouble.

I hope this helps.  I would be happy to formalize such
information if your needs are formal.  I run my own
consulting firm and I have dealt with a wide variety
of topics.  Should you or anyone you know of feel
their archives are in danger, I can perform an
electromagnetic field study to determine what the
environment is really like from a tape's perspective.

Just let me know if I can be of service.

Sincerely,
Larry Picciano

--- C Linstead <Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca>