[AV Media Matters] Magnetic fields

[cross-posted]

I have a query regarding magnetic fields:
"What is the effect of ship radar systems on magnetic media? Information on
protection from such damage is requested."

Can anyone offer what it is that radar systems (from ships or other sources)
produce and how much?
What are the limits from which magnetic media must be shielded?
Does a building afford sufficient protection, or should an Archives building
install additional measures?

Here at the BC Archives in Victoria, we are in immediate proximity of cargo
ships, cruise/passenger ships, and Navy ships/vessels.
Direct responses and/or references to publications are most appreciated.

Thanks alot,
Cheryl.

Cheryl Linstead
Audio-Visual Records Curator, BC Archives
Ministry of Management Services
Phone: (250) 387-2959  /  Fax: (250) 387-2072
Cheryl.Linstead@gems7.gov.bc.ca
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm