RE: [AV Media Matters] DVDR Media Types

Pioneer has published a white paper on the subject ( someone literally
dropped on my desk yesterday.  Yes, it is confusing and yes there are real
differences in the discs.  I think you can get it from their website,
www.pioneerelectronic.com.  To summarize the differences:
1.  DVD-R  for authoring uses a 635nm wavelength for recording
2.  DVD-R for General purposes uses a 650 nm wavelength for recording
3.  DVD=R for Authoring has a 3.95 GB capacity
4.  DVD-R for General purposes has a 4.7 GB capacity
5.  The DVR-S101 burner works with 3.96 GB discs only
6.  The DVR-S201 burner works with both discs.
7.  The DVR-103 recorder works only with the 4.7 GB discs.

Clear???
The reasons for this confusion are explained(?) in the white paper.

If you can't find a copy of the white paper on the website, contact me and
I'll send you a copy.

Charles Repka

Moderators Comment:
Thanks for the excellent posts on this. It is bit clearer, I suspect that
after I have read the white papers it will be even more clear - but maybe
another question is WHY? As in Why change the writing frequency in the first
place - I doubt that the 15nm difference will effect the density in any
meaningful way, and I have a hard time believing that the difference in
frequency can relate to a difference in laser cost - and since the S201 CAN
do both (still haven't tried it with ours) - it makes me question things
even further. Perhaps it is a marketing thing - but it really is quite
confusing. I also wonder whether the media itself IS different -
particularly after reading Mr. Jim Speich's excellent post. No two media
types will have the same longevity - particularly if they are chemically
different. Saying that they have the same longevity is very improbable
UNLESS they are in fact the exact same thing - and at which point I have to
ask - WHY are they doing this??????

Slightly less confused.....

James Lindner

General Manager VidiPax Division
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media Restoration Company

Executive Vice-President
Loudeye Technologies
NASDAQ Symbol:LOUD

VidiPax
450 West 31 Street
New York, N.Y.  10001
212-563-1999 ext. 102
www.vidipax.com

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com