RE: [AV Media Matters] Video to film for preservation-some clarif ications.

Eddie brings up another good point on the issue of display technology
and the ability (or lack thereof) of recreating a similar viewing
"experience" on the output side of things. Taking it a bit further -
current monitor technology is really quite different then older
technology and not just in issues like scanning frequency. The phosphor
systems in use are dramatically different then older monitors - from the
frequency response to the color temperature to the persistance of the
phosphor - these are all VERY different then monitors (either black and
white or color) of days gone by. These changes can really cause the
viewer to have a DRAMATICALLY different viewing experience.

This topic has been discussed somewhat in the fine arts community on the
general topic of being able to recreate a video art exhibition that may
have been created by an artist using technology that is no longer
available or even able to be recreated (intentionally or not). Some
artists like Paik intentionally changed monitors to give a different
type of picture as part of the art piece.

But for more "usual" viewing experience - I well remember my family
"emerson" black and white television that had a very warm and VERY
persistant phospher (or maybe it is my memory that has long
persistance). Monitors today have a VERY different look. One could
probably simulate the look with modern monitors - but that is a
project.... any volunteers????

James Lindner

General Manager VidiPax Division
VidiPax - The Magnetic Media Restoration Company

Executive Vice-President
Loudeye Technologies
NASDAQ Symbol:LOUD

VidiPax
450 West 31 Street
New York, N.Y.  10001
212-563-1999 ext. 102
www.vidipax.com

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matters-subscribe@topica.com