Re: [AV Media Matters] acetate tape binder

In a message dated 02/26/2001 1:08:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Jimwheeler@aol.com writes:

>I would like to hear from anyone on this Listserv who has playable
acetate
>tapes that have had the vinegar smell for several years.
>
>Jim

I have Kodak tape which has smelled of acetic acid since it was new.  It
doesn't appear to be deteriorating after 30-40 years, but this may be a
special property of the Kodak process.

I have never seen the self-catalytic effect.  The oldest tapes I have, from
early 1950s, are just very stiff and brittle; not all, some have survived
rather poor storage conditions very well.

I have also seen instructions from Kodak suggesting that film be temporarily
stored in a seal can with a moistened blotter to soften the base and have
some very old film cans that have a perforated compartment containing
absorbent material built into the can.

Mike Csontos