Re: [AV Media Matters] Refurbished CD-R Drives

In a message dated 02/28/2001 2:31:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
salernoj@swbell.net writes:

>My thoughts on refurbed equipment.
>
>Get a warranty, yes. Then find out who actually will service the warranty.
>Is there a local facility or would you have to ship off the unit? Is the
>service provider any good?

There is a big difference between used, refurbished, and "factory serviced."
I have had very good luck with "factory serviced" equipment (copier,
computers, VCRs}.  I feel that it means someone else has already had the
hassle of debugging and burn-in.

Refurbished equipment should be about as good if done by the factory or
official service organization.  The testing and QC should be better than in
the normal production environment. One should find out who did the
"refurbishing."

As for used equipment, I make the assumption mentioned on another post that
it will need service, and will buy only if the price reflects that.

Mike Csontos