Re: [AV Media Matters] acetate tape binder

Steve

For most tapes, the lubricant makes the tapes more supple.  As you pointed
out, moisture helps to some degree but moisture also turns acetates into
acetic acid.  This process is self-catalytic so once you smell vinegar, the
end is near.  This is what I am told by chemists.

I would like to hear from anyone on this Listserv who has playable acetate
tapes that have had the vinegar smell for several years.

Jim