[AV Media Matters] Leader tape problem surfaces

Richard,

Thanks for the message. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but
I think we're touching on a problem that I haven't seen publicized before.

Of course, those of us who were doing stuff in that time frame always used
leader to separate cuts. There was always the argument of plastic over
paper, but for albums we needed the leader because the lathes were
triggered by optical sensors to do the banding based on the leader. What
this means is that the bulk of the best-quality masters are at risk from
this new issue.

It has not been pervasive in my relatively low volume experience (by the
way, I have a tape restoration page up at my Web site
http://www.richardhess.com/be/tape.htm listing the projects I've done) but
it has happened. I'm glad that we have the AES Technical Committee on
Archives, Restoration, and Digital Libraries started. Somewhere we need to
collect both anecdotal warnings and as much real science that actually
exists so that we don't all sit around wondering if we're the only one with
this or that problem and what to do about it.

I'm hoping that someone understands the chemistry/physics of this better
than I and can suggest a workaround.

I'm sorry you lost the material. Are there any other extant copies that you
can splice in from? When I do a tape restoration project, I ask the client
for the master, I also ask for two copies (preferably from different boxes)
of the original LP. In that way, I can pull in little fixes from the LP if
necessary and clean them up and splice them in. Haven't had to do that
much, but there is one ongoing project where I think we're missing three
songs or perhaps an entire side due to a fire at a studio, we suspect and I
don't know if the LP or the safety master will end up being the better
sound. The safety masters have problems.

I've left my original message at the bottom so if someone missed it they
don't have to go hunting.

Cheers,

Richard