[AV Media Matters] analog cassettes

I have several questions regarding the future availability of standard
analog cassette tapes, and I would greatly appreciate feedback from members
of the list.

For background, I have worked as a museum-based oral historian for about 15
years, and have conducted  hundreds of oral history interviews.  I also
have experience in sound archives administration, and an interest in sound
recording preservation.

I frequently teach oral history workshops, and in doing so, I make
recommendations regarding equipment selection.  The availability of new
digital recording formats obviously creates more options for those new to
the oral history community.  They  need to balance concerns about long-term
preservation with the need for a recording format that is reliable and
relatively easy to use in the field.  It is increasingly difficult to
provide straight-forward, responsible recommendations regarding format
selection, and yet there is an ongoing need for this type of information.

I have always subscribed to the the use of analog cassette tapes for field
recordings, followed by the transfer of the original recordings to 1/4"
analog tape for preservation masters.  I also recognize the value of
digital media for ease of access to content, and agree with many of you who
have encouraged the storage of recordings in multiple formats, as good
insurance for ready access in the future.

I apologize for the long-winded introductory remarks.  My questions are
these:

1) Have we reached a point at which it is no longer practical to recommend
the use of analog cassette tapes?

2) With the increasing popularity of mini disc recording, how close are we
to the disappearance of the analog cassette as a commercial format?

2) How much longer can we expect the major manufacturers to produce them?

3) How committed are Sony and Marantz to the ongoing production of good
quality, portable cassette recorders?

I'd like to add that I have found this list to be extremely informative,
and I greatly appreciate the efforts of the moderator and all who have
contributed.  I would welcome any comments on the above questions.  Thanks
in advance.

Fred Calabretta
Associate Curator of Collections

MYSTIC SEAPORT