Re: [AV Media Matters] analog cassettes

Since the audio cassette was a Philips of Holland invention, you might
direct your query to them as to long term prospects for the media support.
(Since they have a vested monetary royalty on each cassette).  I think Sony
might not be as committed to the audio cassette as some of the other
Chinese,  Japanese and Hong Kong companies.  The medium is a principle low
cost one in the Third world, and likely will be around for your lifetimes,
in my opinion, unless a radical lowering of price of CDs and such happens,
both media and hardware, and I see the large technology introducing
companies like Sony financing their new intros, like DVD on the backs of the
CD market, as well as other established electronic formats they can exploit.
I am sure we have representation from around the world on the list, and
perhaps we can get an eye view of local consumer market conditions for audio
cassettes and players, and see if my theory is true.  The Consumer
Electronics show in Las Vegas each year is a good forum to watch for the
health of formats, as the consumer business drives the other format arenas.

I think reel to reel 1/4 inch formats may be more at risk as to long term
support of manufacturers.

An alternative that will be around many years is likely the VHS, SVHS media,
and sound could always be recorded on that although a video format with
sound tracks.  Certainly, the media cost, and recorder cost rivals audio
cassettes at this time.  I have recently bought a full featured VCR for $69
US, and VHS tapes of acceptable Japanese manufacture, (known brands), are
often on sale for $2 a tape in quantities.  Plus, you get  up to 6 hours per
tape.  Perfect for voice work, the higher end VCRs have higher fidelity
audio options as well..

Stuart Rohre
ARL Univ. of Tx.

Moderators Comment:
This subject came up on a oral history list serve a couple of weeks ago. I
am in total agreement with Stuart. There is a huge installed base of
cassette media based equipment. It is a very popular current format with
millions of machines. I do not see it going away totally for many many
years - having said that I do not recommend it for archival applications -
but from an availability point of view,I do not see it going away for a long
time.

jim