Sound restoration technology (was [AV Media Matters] AES)

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here knows an ongoing source of de-noise
technology discussion or in general, where to "keep up" on the ongoing
advances in the removal of unwanted noise from old recordings and the
restoration of the sound.

As an individual, the CEDARs of this world are beyond my means, but then
again the "Sound Forges" were beyond my imagination just a few short years
ago. Without the equipment to compare for myself, I have to take the
opinions of the scant few who are willing to comment, and on one hand I hear
that "with care, lesser products perform just as well as more expensive
solutions, in the hands of careful users." On the other hand, I hear that
"there is no substitute for (fill in blank)"

Periodically, I do web searches for noise reduction developments and get
sporadic reviews and commentary if I dig far enough, but surely there are
better ways to find out whats true and what's new ? <g>

Thanks,

Dick Jurgens

www.DickJurgens.com

_| Mailto: Dick Jurgens