RE: [AV Media Matters] AES

I just returned from the Audio Engineering Society (AES) Conference/Trade
Show in LA.  It is an audio version of NAB.  The papers, workshops, and
exhibitors are all the latest in audio technology.  Get info at
<www.aes.org>

There were about 500 Exhibitors showing how to create the material
archivists
end up with but no one showing how to preserve it!

There was a Historical display by Paul McManus from San Diego.  Paul had a
lot of old tape and LP recording equipment on display in a Suite.  Anyone
interested in contacting Paul can at <paul-mcmanus@email.msn.com>

The most interesting exhibitor (for me) was a former Ampex engineer (Mike
Spitz) who has a company "ATR Services".  He refurbishes and sells old Ampex
audio machines.  He is located in York, PA and has a website at
<www.atrservice.com>  For audio heads for old Ampex machines, call Greg
Orton
at 925-679-9406

In the Standards Committee meetings, Metadata is a big topic.  Still
wrestling with how to describe it.  I did hear a good definition of
metadata:
 The audio and/or video essence plus Metadata is the Program material.  In
the past, we have only recorded the program material on the tape, CD, or
whatever.

There was a three hour workshop on Digital Libraries as well as two
committee
meetings.  How to tackle Digital is certainly a hot topic!

The most recent audio format is DVD-A.  It is 24 bit at 96 KHz so is much
better than CD.  The problem is that it costs about $30 for a blank DVD.
Until the price of blank DVDs comes down, this format will not catch on.  It
is doubtful that DVD-A will ever catch on as a consumer format because cheap
CDs sound ok and will always be cheaper.  The target market is professional,
and, I hope, archival.

Jim Wheeler