RE: [AV Media Matters] The Functions and Science of 'CD

On Thursday, August 17, 2000 10:47 AM, Jim Wheeler
[SMTP:Jimwheeler@aol.com] wrote:

>We can make Turtle wax or toothpaste APPEAR professional by a bit of
>creative
>packaging.  Interested in starting a business? :)

Even better, mix some Turtle wax with some toothpaste.

Call it "CD-Shine".  We can now claim that it is based on formulas used by
some of the best minds in the archival business.  CD-Shine is composed of
complex bicarbons which smooth out the microscopic grooves that develop in
all CD's over time.  These bicarbons are combined with paraffin compounds
which fill in any remaining defects to ensure data integrity throughout the
life of the disk.

The product is well known within archiving circles, having been introduced
on the AV-Media Matters list run by top data preservationist Jim Lindner.
 Upon it's introduction, Jim Wheeler, a pioneer in video technologies says
that it does appear professional.  Graeme Jaye, a noted audio preservation
and CD Repair expert claims a "more professional approach."

CD-Shine is produced by active Association of Moving Image Archivists
member Russ McMillen who has worked for the pioneering National Film Board
and the country's largest broadcaster, the C.B.C.  He has turned his
incredible talent to preserving media and says that the chemicals in
CD-Shine have been in use for many years, and are safe to use under any
conditions.

See?  No testing required.

Russ M.