RE: [AV Media Matters] metal vrs wooden shelving for VHS tape sto

Hi Folks,

There have been many interesting and valid comments about metal
shelving, which for many reasons such as cost and availability, all
of us are probably doomed or blessed to have to accept most of the
time. Experience here has suggested that its drawbacks include the
facts that the normal finishes applied are usually maddeningly
slippery and that units supplied with vertical dividers are menaces
in studios because they vibrate.

The comments about wooden shelving being out of place in archives,
however, reminds me of an incident related by a colleage in the
sound archives profession (sorry, this was years ago and
documentation unavailable): There was a fire in one room a
multi-room tape-storage area which included both metal and wooden
shelving. Tapes and papers in the room with the fire were damaged or
destroyed. Most of the tapes stored in the adjacent room with metal
shelving (either next to or above the fire) were ruined by
conduction of heat through the metal of the shelves (and, as I
recall, further damaged by buckling and collapse of shelves),
whereas most of those in the adjacent room with wooden shelves were
not damaged because of the lack of heat conduction by the wood and
its retention of structural integrity.

Yes, wood has its problems, and, if used, must be finished so as to
seal all sides to prevent escape of as much as possible of all its
types of gases (sorry, I'm not good at proper chemical terminology).

For these reasons, among others, it may not be sensible totally to
reject the idea of either wood or metal shelving.

(Potshots and flaming cheerfully accepted, but outside the storage
areas -- plastic or concrete shelving anyone ? How about
polycarbonate ?)

-Richard Warren (sometimes known as the inventor of sticky-tape
syndrome and thus already terminal), Historical Sound Recordings,
Yale Music Library