Re: [AV Media Matters] Tape to Film

Dirk

You said:
<<These series showed a few gaps in the videotape archives of the
mid-70s caused by defective material.>>

What you call "defective" material is very likely what is called
"Sticky-shed".  The tapes can be cleaned or baked and restored to
make a copy.

It is upsetting when I hear about people trashing tapes that they
can't play when I know that they CAN be played.  If the oxide is
still on the basefilm, it can be restored.

Tape and film MUST be stored in a cool and dry environment!

The main problem with ALL "high-tech" media will be to find the
equipment to play it 20 or 50 years from now.  Can you play a 5 inch
floppy made ten years ago?

Jim Wheeler