Re: [AV Media Matters] Tape to Film

amsden@btinternet.com schrieb:

> Jim Lindner wrote:
>>
>>So while you most
>>certainly CAN record video to film, please do not confuse that process
>>with preserving video because you most certainly are not preserving it.
>
>I agree with almost everything that Jim has to say on this issue, except
>perhaps this last statement. Is it possible that the enquirer was not
>interested in preserving a video? I know that this is a much argued subject,
>but there seems to be two aspects to it. Usually it is an argument dominated
>by the purist, who will have nothing but the original or an exact copy.
>
>However, video holds images, and it may be more important to preserve them,
>than worry about which media they are on.
>[...]
>It seems to me that a
>degraded image on film would be better than no image on video.

In fact, some days ago, public TV in Germany screened an argument
for this thesis. Since late 1993, they show reruns of the prime time
news program "Tagesschau" ( http:/www.tagesschau.de/ ) 20 years ago,
meanwhile on an additional channel even 25 years ago. These series
showed a few gaps in the videotape archives of the mid-70s caused by
defective material. However, the gaps could be filled with copies
from a surprising source. In their eternal fight against the enemies
of communism, the East German Ministry of State Security,
responsible for both spying at home and abroad, archived the news of
the class enemy on b/w film because then they simply could not
afford the even higher expenses (in foreign currencies) for a VTR
and tapes for this purpose.

However, any transition from one base technology to a different one
always results in serious losses.

Dirk Tust

--
 /\_/\    Dirk Tust             dirk.tust@mni.fh-giessen.de