Re: [AV Media Matters] Preservation matters: CDs and cassettes

rhaddad@cca.qc.ca wrote:

>Dear colleagues: I am new to the list and ask you to forgive me if I
>mention issues already addressed. I have 2 questions regarding best
>preservation practices:
>
>1. the CCA Library sometimes acquires books and periodicals which have a
>CD-ROM inserted into a pocket at the end of the volume. For preservation
>reasons, we remove this and place it in a new plastic jewel box. With
>separate labelling, shelving and retrieval, this becomes a fairly
>labour-intensive procedure. Question: are we being too meticulous? What are
>the implications if we DON'T do this? (By the way, I have been following
>your discussion on labelling of CDs).

We are receiving more and more of what I call "multi-media kits" consisting
of various combinations of printed matter, videos, CDs and the like packaged
as a single volume. They are typically used for service or sales training or
for presentations to potential customers. We keep these kits intact and
catalog them as a single item, so as to not lose the connection between the
different components.

Hoping this is of help,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
419-352-5616
tberry@wcnet.org