[AV Media Matters] Preservation matters: CDs and cassettes

Dear colleagues: I am new to the list and ask you to forgive me if I
mention
issues already addressed. I have 2 questions regarding best
preservation
practices:

1. the CCA Library sometimes acquires books and periodicals which have
CD-ROM inserted into a pocket at the end of the volume. For
preservation
reasons, we remove this and place it in a new plastic jewel box. With
separate labelling, shelving and retrieval, this becomes a fairly
labour-intensive procedure. Question: are we being too meticulous? What
are
the implications if we DON'T do this? (By the way, I have been
following
your discussion on labelling of CDs).

2. regarding proper storage of video and audio cassettes:  I find the
current literature contradictory and confusing. We leave video
cassettes in
their original cardboard protectors, encase the whole thing in an
acid-free
box, and shelve the cassettes upright on their long edge. Current
literature
tells us: a) paper and card boxes are susceptible to damage from insect
infestation; b) cassettes should be stored in acid-free boxes for
protection
from airborne dust & particles; c) cassettes should be shelved upright;
d)
they should be shelved horizontally. Question: any consensus on these
matters?

Those of you familiar with the Canadian Centre for Architecture know
that we
have excellent storage facilities for all materials, and two good
Conservation/Preservation departments (one for Library materials, one
for
works on paper). In the Library, we try to remain current regarding
preservation of magnetic and digital media.

Best regards,
Rosemary Haddad
Bibliothécaire associée / Associate Librarian
Centre Canadien d'Architecture / Canadian Centre for Architecture
1920, rue Baile
Montréal, Québec, CANADA
H3H 2S6
tel: (514) 939-7000