RE: [AV Media Matters] Video storage: winding issues

Shiffy

At Ampex, I determined that there is little (if any) air entrapment if the
tape  is wound at less than about 50 ips.  As a result, I was able to get a
"Library" wind mode built into some of video machines.  My tests were only
performed with backcoated tapes and with reels that had windows.  The
windows
are needed to let the entrapped air bleed out.

Jim Wheeler