RE: [AV Media Matters] Retention

Jim:

I know the National Media Labs were doing some testing and putting things on
their web site. An independent library group--whose name now escapes
me--misquoted the head of the NML and mis-used, according to the NML, a
graph they had posted.  This went on the air on PBS and got into Business
Week, etc. last year.  An e-mail war between the head of NML and the head of
the library group ensued and I occasionally see people quoting the library
group's mis-interpretation.

Where can one generally go to get reliable information on media life?  I
think most people are becoming aware of out-dated formatting issues and are
somewhat aware of out-dated software and hardware issues, but the NML has
proclaimed 5 years the limit for computer tape, of any quality, when
properly handled.

Carol

Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM
Doculabs