[AV Media Matters] RCA Pre Grooved Discs ?

Hello all:
One of our curators here at OHS asked me to look into something.
They are researching a NW anthropologist who recorded some
Indian texts in the 30's.
The citation we have shows the recordings were made in 1936 on
"RCA pre-grooved discs", on a "portable electric recorder made
for me by the National Research Council in 1934".
Anybody have an idea on this? Was the NRC one of those New
Deal agencies?
Maybe Jim Linder, et al have seen this before.  Was this similar to
the equipment used by John Lomax (no relation to me) for his field
recordings?
Thanks.

Regards,

Ken Lomax