[AV Media Matters] Life Expectancy - from Ed Zwaneveld

Moderators Comment: Posted by me for Ed - Topica has definate problems
today.
jim

Greetings,

Usable Life Expectancy (LE) of magnetic tape media is very much
dependent on
the storage conditions they encounter. If humidity and temperature are
very
high, such as is encountered in tropical climates, a life expectancy of
less
than five years may be expected for VHS and U-matic tapes. So we should
discuss the circumstances under which these tape media are stored if we
are
talking about Life Expectancy. It is also well-known that VHS lubricants
may
not perform after more than five years.

Best regards,

Ed H. Zwaneveld,