Re: [ARSCLIST] Proper way to store 78s

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brock-Nannestad" <pattac@xxxxxxxx>
----- in case of flooding, horizontal storage in a pile is preferential,
because then the water only affects the bottom part of the pile, whereas if
it is a shelf, the lower part of the full width of the shelf will be
affected. With flooding 10 cm (4") above the bottom of the shelf 2 meters (6
ft 8") long it would mean affecting 600 records, rather than the bottom 30
records in each pile. We shall disregard capillary action in the covers.

Keep in mind that the shellac-based compound of which phonorecords
are made is "hygroscopic" (think I have that word correct!), so that 78's
exposed to water for any significant time will soak up the water...and
then swell (at least the exposed portion will!). This in turn causes the
relevant 78's to be cracked (via the swelling!).

The BEST advice here is "Do NOT store shellac records in places
where there is ANY possibility of their being INUNDATED!!"
If you notice some guy with a long beard wandering about in yout
neighbourhood collecting pairs of fauna...START MOVING
YOUR 78's UPSTAIRS!!