Re: [ARSCLIST] What orchestra is ths ?

This indeed Mambo #8. It was a Perez Prado hit and also for Xavier Cugat. This version however is undoubtedly a very poor cover by a non-Latino band. First they count in English. Dead giveaway.
Next the say "cha cha cha", this is absurd as they playing a MAMBO! Third, the wind section is woefull out of tune and neither Prado nor Cugat would have tolerated such /desafinado /playing in their respective
orquestas. Fourth, the timbalero is /cruzao/ or crossed and is playing against the clave at certain points.
The final nail in the gringo coffin is the speed at which they take the song which is utterly wrong for
a Mambo. I will not even going into the inferior recording quality....

Please listen to any version by Perez Prado to hear this song as it was meant to be experienced.

AA
Jack Theakston wrote:
Hey Roger,

Don't know who recorded this, but the original title is Mambo Numero 8 (Mambo No. 8) and was written by Perez 'Prez' Prado. Prado had a hit with it on the RCA label, and I think it was a cut on his popular "Pops and Prado" album.

J. Theakston

________________________________ From: Roger Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:19:57 PM Subject: [ARSCLIST] What orchestra is ths ?

I have posted this in the past,with no luck,but have decided to try it again.I am looking for the real identity of an orchestra on this song that was uploaded to the WFMU blog,on September 25,2007

The Song title given is "Little Boy,Little Girl".The pseudonym given here is "Betty Harris and Jack Arthur With The Diplomat Orchestra and Chorus".The record that it was uploaded from is called "Party Time:Dance and Game Songs" Twinkle Records TW-18

Twinkle and Diplomat,were of course,imprints of the infamous Synthetic Plastics company,of Newark New Jersey.Twinkle,was a 70s creation,that repackaged older titles from Diplomat,Spin-O-Rama,Guest Star,etc.I suspect if this title was previously issued,it probably came out on Guest Star,and probably was,in turned pirated from a legitimate issue from a tiny label,as most Guest Star records were.

This is a recording by a latin orchestra,and a very good one at that.It reminds me of both Ray Barretto,especially the flautist,and Tito Puente,and sounds like it was done in the 1950s.Whoever did the original recording,did an excellent job on it,it does not sound like a budget label recording.

Listen to it here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/09/365-days-268---.html

The original song title would be nice to know,too.

Roger