[ARSCLIST] Sarnoff Library to Close Archive looks for a new home!

Sa
The following letter fromAlex Magoun of the Sarnoff Library was just
forwarded to me by a friend,  I've also provided link to the article that  Alex
references in his message.

Steve

Dear Friends of the  Library,
This Sunday the Times of Trenton will run a story on the  closing of the
David Sarnoff Library by the end of the  year.
The Library’s success in  attracting field trips and tour groups has
outgrown our host Sarnoff  Corporation’s ability to accommodate the attendant
security and access issues,  especially given its expanding business in
government security technologies.  When I started working here in 1998, the Library
received perhaps 100  visitors in a year; in the last year, that number has
multiplied to 1,400  through our field trips, programs, and tours.  That
still small number,  magnified by the hundreds of thousands of visitors to our
website, promised only  to increase as we continued to promote the Library’s
offerings to tour companies  and regional school districts.
My board and I are meeting with a  variety of institutions.  We are
focusing on and meeting with  representatives of those that will enable greater
access to the remarkable and  inspiring stories told by David Sarnoff and the
people of RCA in research,  invention, and innovation, the mainstays of
American economic success.  We  are exploring opportunities in-state and out, and
while it is too early to  discuss these options, we look forward to making
an announcement in the next  month.
For now, we are eternally grateful  to Sarnoff Corporation’s executives and
staff who, over the past nine years have  done so much to help make the
Library a destination for educational,  professional, and scholarly audiences.
I am also especially grateful to  our board members who, in that nine
years, have guided the Library’s growth; to  the New Jersey Historical Commission
and the Secretary of State for their  operating support grants; to many
other grantors and donors for their financial  support; to the allied
organizations who share an interest in promoting science  and technology; to the
teachers and principals who brought their classes to our  new field trip
programs; to the contractors and dozens of volunteers who helped  rebuild the
museum, organize and preserve the archives, and stage our amazing  variety of
educational programs; and of course to you, the many friends of the  Library,
from all these areas and more.  Thank you  all!
Sincerely,
Alex
Alexander B. Magoun  Ph.D.
Curator and Executive  Director