Re: [ARSCLIST] Best practice: mixed acetate and polyester reels with sticky shed

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

with reference to his earlier posting

Subject:	[ARSCLIST] Best practice: mixed acetate and polyester reels with
sticky shed
	Date sent:	Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:08:48 -0700

 - and in response to several responses on the list

Eric Jacobs wrote:

> Anyway, I don't want to persevere on the tape type too much, and
> would rather focus on the best way to process an acetate/polyester
> reel with "sticky" tape in the mix.

----- Eric, people respond to what they can relate to and where they believe
they can provide useful input. It does not appear that those who are
concerned with the nitty-gritty of treating tape types are necessarily those
who have a philosophical view of what is to be done with our heritage in the
long run. The authenticity and authentication issues I brought up in my
response almost never feature in preservation discussions, except in forensic
work. Undoing splices is one of the grossest attacks on the integrity of a
linear file (which a tape is). I remember my movie projectionist days: a film
had split in several places and at the time you lost one frame for each
splice. I put the film back together for screening, and--oh, shame--a
sequence of a man climbing ladders to paste a huge poster was suddenly
showing a man rocketing and plummeting and working on several sheets at once.
I had to take the film apart again and find the correct sequence. Losing
several frames.

Kind regards,

George