To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Earliest recorded sound update on NPR

Yes, that's what I said. The recordist in NJ used a cylinder machine, but the spies were using a Poulsen wire recorder.

That's actually what Poulsen envisioned for his recorder, if I remember the history correctly -- as a way to record morse code content and speed-send large batches of it, to be recorded by wire at the other end and then played back at speeds a man could decode. The transmission could be via telegraph wires or later via radio waves.

Richard Hess, correct me if I'm wrong here!

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "joe@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jsalerno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>