Re: [ARSCLIST] Earliest recorded sound update on NPR

data compression ca. 1880

a technique that was not lost on WW1 spies...I wonder if they thought of it themselves or if they knew of this device?

joe salerno

David Breneman wrote:

As I recall, it was a similar disk-based device.
The telegraph message would be recorded on it at
"human" speed and send down the wire greatly sped up.
It was recorded at the receiving end and played
back again at the "natural" speed for a telegrapher
to transcribe.