Re: [ARSCLIST] Hearing history: Thompson explores sound technology

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Lou Judson wrote:

> I had a similar thought at the recent mention of a "vinyl cutting
> lathe" - you canot cut on vinyl! Duh.

----- well, you can. You can cut most plastic materials and metals. It is a
matter of adjusting your lathe correctly, correct speed and angle. If your
speed is tied - as it is in recording, then your vertical cutting angle
becomes very critical. The best example of cutting metal is the DMM or Direct
Metal Mastering. However, in reality the cutting stylus chatters--at the
intended frequency of ca. 70kHz when you cut copper. I tried it on my 78rpm
lathe, using an original DMM master, and my steel cutting stylus chattered at
ca. 7kHz - completely useless under the circumstances. I have cut a CD with
success.

> But in the Princeton piece, I have a feeling it is sloppy writing and
> editing, not the prof's words. But she should have been able to vet
> it and make corrections!

----- I agree completely!

Kind regards,

George