Re: [ARSCLIST] Hearing history: Thompson explores sound technology

From: patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Jerry Fabris wrote:

> An article about Princeton University professor Emily Thompson:
>
> http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pwb/volume98/issue26/sound/

----- nice article, Jerry and good pictures. However, I was surprised to see
the following:

"..........she raised the arm of her record player and gently lowered it onto
a 78 rpm vinyl recording. The McCosh Hall classroom filled with the slightly
staticky sounds of a 1923 acoustic recording of "Yes! We Have No Bananas"
performed by Billy Murray."

----- now, has prof. Thompson really had access to a vinyl pressing of this
record? Or is it just one more example of the sloppy notion that everything
black must be vinyl - that's what our parents had.

By the way, one of my versions is German: "AUSgeRECHnet BanAnen", and it is
shellac-based.

Kind regards,

George