Re: [ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] PACKBURN 323A

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hi everybody,

Jan Myren described his Packburn setup and seems quite satisfied. I did not
know that it had an "undo RIAA" feature in its later versions, but I assure
you that the Packburn switcher works even better if the treble is not rolled
of like RIAA does.

In cooperation with John R.T. Davies Ted Kendall has developed what they used
to call "the Mousetrap" that used components that were 25 years younger than
those of Packard and Burns, although the basic switcher idea was the same. I
do not know whether that is incorporated in Ted's "the Front End"
preamplifier that has many useful features. It is only built to order.

Jan asked:

> BUT; Since I think the Packburn works well on clicks and pops; do you know
> if the engineers from the "analogue remaster area" like Robert Parker,
> also used a second noise reduction system to get rid of more of that surface
> noise, or did they just use it "as is" and accepted a fair amount of
> surface noise on their LP-compilations?

----- if I remember correctly, Robert Parker artificially boosted the high
frequencies by generating distortion by having an elliptical stylus with the
long axis along the groove. This permitted/indeed REQUIRED very heavy treble
filtering to remove the distortion (and any noise from 78s), so that he had a
lot of fundamentals. Any lack of brilliance was counteracted by heavy reverb.
All in all disgusting results, but John R.T. was forgiving: "it will
advertise that there is plenty of interesting material in these old records,
and those who want to engross themselves will go to the sources".