[ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] PACKBURN 323A

HI Adrian!

Thanks for your answer!

Actually on my Packburn model, there is a knob called "DB Rolloff At 10 Khz"
with 6 positions; 0 (for accoustics), 5 (for most 78's), 8,5, 10, 14 and 16.
This is a newer model, and just needed an RIAA-equalized signal to be fed
into it.

The purpose is to use the Packburn as a straight analogue "real-time" sound
processor when playing 78 rpm discs on my main stereo set-up. For more
important sound restorations jobs, like transferring to CD's, I use the
latest version of Diamond Cut; DC7, I guess.

I also remember the OWL 1; guess it was designed by Tom Owen. It had a lot
of eq-features, but missed the clicks and pops part, as it only had a
surface noise filter. I know about the Owl Multifilter, but have never seen
one in action or learned about its features. Maybe that was efficient?? I
guess you know, since I may have heard that Tom worked for Hammerstein as
well. I bought my OWL 1 (that I later sold....) from a company called "Audio
78 Archival Supplies". Don't know if they exist any more.....
Have also checked out the KAB, but don't like the straight fixed
pre-adjuisted eq-curves. For that purpose a mix of the Owl 1 and a KAB would
be a dream.

BUT; Since I think the Packburn works well on clicks and pops; do you know
if the engineers from the "analogue remaster area" like Robert Parker, also
used a second noise reduction system to get rid of more of that surface
noise, or did they just use it "as is" and accepted a fair amount of surface
noise on their LP-compilations?

I would be glad to learn more about that!

Best regards
Jan Myren
NORWAY