Re: [ARSCLIST] "Country discovery is reel find"

All the thoughts expressed in this thread so far, had occurred to me as
well. Low budget, lo-speed or no, these tapes would seem to deserve better
treatment. It's just another example of folks going off on their own without
careful researching. "Hey! I know this guy with an old tape player and he
used to work in Nashville!"

I was wondering if anyone in ARSC might care to get in touch with these
people and put a kind arm around their shoulders.

Moreover, what of the legal implications? My friend John Marks, himself a
fine recordist and label owner (JMR Records) and prolific writer on audio
topics (Stereophile) -- and an attorney! --  sent me this to share:

Fascinating.

However, the article significantly under-estimates the intellectual-property
tangles that may arise.

Let’s say that the PA system contractor for the Warwick Musical Theater
surreptitiously (there’s no other word for it) recorded live shows by Rat
Pack and Hollywood Golden Era performers plus Liberace, and 500 reels of
tape were found in a barn in West Greenwich, RI.
Arguably, the purchaser buys a bunch of plastic film on reels in boxes, and
not even the right to listen to them privately... . No “mechanical”
royalties were paid for that specific “use.” If RIAA is pursuing parents
when a kid downloads 11 songs, why is there a safe harbor for pirate
recordings of 1200?

Next, assuming you deal with the “mechanical” right issues and even the
performers’ estates, what about the venues?

In my hypothetical, I’d expect the venue to say, we are involuntarily your
partner, you thief, but equal partners nonetheless...

Fee free to pass on to your list.

ATB,
JM