Re: [ARSCLIST] "Country discovery is reel find"

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
<snip> I would suggest that budgetary issues were paramount here.

Probably true, but given that pretty decent 1/4" recorders can be had for under $1000.00 these days, that doesn't seem like it would be much of a stretch, given the material at hand. If they are truly thinking of going to auction with these recordings, my guess is that they'll fetch a great deal more than $1K.

Ignoring the issues of reproduction quality, it just seems to me that tapes like these deserve at least to be treated with some care. Lacing them up on an old Pioneer (which was never known for it's tape handling anyway) isn't exactly what I would call a great preservation strategy.

WTF, with this kind of approach, maybe I should haul out the old Magnecords! They sure did rewind fast!

Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.