Re: [ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] PACKBURN 323A

On Monday, March 23, 2009 4:10 PM, Doug Pomeroy wrote:

> I find most often a carefully balanced mono mix will be less noisy
> than either channel alone, since a well-tuned mono automatically
> boosts the music 3 dB over the noise.  But I regularly check this
> (L alone, R alone and L+R) if there is any doubt, just to confirm.

My experience mirrors Doug's (ie. mono mix having less noise than
either channel alone).

However...

On Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:54 AM, Ted Kendall wrote:

> The original Front End is still built to order. It is essentially
> a mono device, but uses the vertical degree of freedom given by
> tracing a mono groove with a stereo pickup. The first sidechain
> uses groove wall selection and the other two are click blankers
> of differing flavours.

A few questions about the Mousetrap/Front End's approach to
groove wall selection:

1.  Does selecting a single groove wall increase the groove wall
    noise, since presumably you no longer have the random groove
    wall noise from the opposite channel for some cancellation
    when mixing to mono?

2.  Is the transition between selected groove walls audible?

In the digital domain, when copying an undamaged groove wall to
replace the opposite damaged wall, distortion from the damage is
indeed reduced or eliminated, but the groove noise increases
substantially when compared to the usual mono mix of opposite
groove walls.  In addition, there's some extra effort required
to make sure the transition is done smoothly so that the increased
groove wall noise is less abrupt.  The trade-off between less
distortion and more groove wall noise is not always obvious.
I find that I don't resort to groove wall selection in the DAW
except in rare cases.

Just curious if the Front End has found a way around this signal
versus noise dilemna when performing groove wall selection.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting