[ARSCLIST] Fwd: Martin Silver 1934-2009

Doug Pomeroy forwarded this to me this morning, and I know that this should be here on the ARSCList because of Martin's his long service to ARSC.

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx

I am very sorry to tell you all that Martin Silver, former Music Librarian at UC Santa Barbara, passed away Tuesday, February 17, 2009, from cancer. Martin established the Music Library at UC Santa Barbara and was its head until his retirement (in 1992, I think). In his retirement he carried on a successful book business, Martin A. Silver, Musical Literature. I was at the UCLA Music Library when Marty came west and I also became a specialized music book dealer on my retirement. Over the years we became pals and shared a variety of activities that included a lot of music (playing together and concert going -he was a fine flutist). We sometimes collaborated in the book business. Active in MLA, his most recent job for the organization was convention manager. I will miss him as I know many of his MLA colleagues will.
Condolences can be sent to his children, Jessica Silver, 2802 Brewster Ave., Redwood City, CA 94062 and Will Silver, 1120 E. Ortega St., Santa Barbara 93103

Marsha Berman