Re: [ARSCLIST] Muzak is bankrupt

I went to that World's Fair. My first Belgium waffle and I still have the dinosaur I made at the Sinclair Oil exibit.
An interesting use of reel to reel tape was at Chuckie Cheeze Pizza Time Theater. They used 4 channel Teac machines for the the fixed animated characters. Three channels were the voices of Chuckie and his guests while the remaining channel contained beeps and squeaks that controlled air valves that moved the characters arms and heads.
Steve Koto
On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Steven Smolian wrote:

For the 1963-4 World's Fair, I made a 3-3/4 ips 14" background music tape for a reversable Scully that was used for background music in various venues. Mine was at the daily fashion show. I also ran their PA every day- no days off- for 6 months.

Some jobs have different benefits than others.

For a different job, I made another tape for use in, of all things, an elevator.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Muzak is bankrupt

David Breneman wrote:
--- On Thu, 2/12/09, Dave Nolan <davenolanaudio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I remember a K-Mart in Tacoma (the first one in this area)
that opened in the 1960s.  (What a bunch of cheap junk.  My
parents bought me a pair of shoes there that didn't last
two days.  Anyway, back on topic...)  I remember there being
several 7" tape decks behind the customer service counter
that played the background music.  I don't know if the
music was licensed from Muzak, but it definitely wasn't
piped in; it was played from within the store.   FWIW.

One of the Naxos family of recordings is a collection of 'soft classics' for storecast. IIRC, they are sold in sets of ten or twenty CDs. At Klaus Heyman's suggestion, I made an MP3 CD-ROM to provide uninterrupted play so no one would have to attend to the player throughout the day.

I've no idea whether the CD-ROM version was ever issued. Of course, Klaus had all rights to the recordings and they were licensed for storecast use.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/