Re: [ARSCLIST] audio reel to reel - how bad is bad - or is this pre-cupping?

Richard L. Hess wrote:
As Lou pointed out, acetate and polyester tape will behave differently. This is usually more prevalent on acetate tape than polyester--at least that's where I've seen it.

Of course there is the assumption that the mewbies know how to tell the difference between the two types. Hold the reel up sideways to the light and generally there will be light glowing thru acetete tape but not thru mylar/polyester. Sometimes you might even discover that the reel has both types intermixed.
Here are some winding articles from my blog...

Perhaps you might help out and put up a page illustrating this.

Also, if the tapes are full-track mono, playing them with a full-track head can work wonders -- it's a good rule to always match the head to the tape.

Also, here is a page discussing matching tracks to heads -- this is the specific case of the very popular substitution of a DIN head for an NAB head in two-track stereo.
Actually, I interpret your pages to indicate that it is good to compare the tape on several different type heads if you have them available. Damaged full track tape presents certain alignment problems that can often be solved by NOT playing it with a full track head. When the tape has deformed even slightly it can present an uneven or irregular pattern that will cause phasing that can not be cured by any head azimuith adjustments to a head reading the entire width of the tape. A narrow track head might be better able to find a place on the tape where it can be aligned to -- and sometimes this will change during the reel.

Gettnig back to the effect of the possible damage, while the physical damage certainly has a role to play, the "how bad is it" is as much -- or more -- a factor of the recording speed and the track width. This is crucial. A full-track 15 in/s tape that will play fine with a certain amount of damage would be rather unlistenable at 3.75 in/s quarter track, for example.

Cheers,

Richard

Right! But what you got is what you got!

Mike Biel mbiel@xxxxxxxxx