[ARSCLIST] Some DAT questions

1. does anyone on-list have experience with "ripping" audio DATs
directly to hard drive via a DAT data-tape drive? If so, what OS,
software and results are you getting? Is there a favored source for the
appropriate drive?

With the support of someone who has had some success doing this, I tried
three different drives and the latest versions of DATxtract and DAT 2
WAV, all of which were supposed to meet the numerous prerequisites for
such a system, but to date have not succeeded.  Each time we thought we
had gotten all the variables identified and worked out something else
would come up.  The results ranged from astronomical error rates to the
software failing to recognize the drive.  In addition to computer OS,
issues involved are whether the drive is in fact audio capable, the
drive firmware, the DDS version, and the usual interconnect issues.  Be
prepared to deal with a legacy hardware, software, and freeware
quagmire.

Kevin Irelan