Re: [ARSCLIST] Medtner playing his 3rd Piano Concerto]

On 27/12/2008, Punto wrote:
> I do want to follow up on this since I initiated the discussion by
> trying to decipher and decode a record in hand. From the start, I was
> able to transliterate enough to be certain that Medtner was the
> composer and soloist on the disc and I had tracked down the Testament
> CD of the Medtner/Philharmonia/Dobrowen recording. I could not read
> enough of the rest of the text to conclude that this was definitely
> the 1947 Mahrajah of Mysore sponsored recording and not some other one
> since the recording company and all other information beyond composer,
> work and performer, was undecipherable to me. I did hear from Marcia
> Segal who very helpfully deciphered a scan I sent them and I now know
> that it is just a dismally poor pressing of the Philharmonia Abbey
> Road LP. I have not asked for permission to quote, so I hope she won't
> mind my sharing a portion of the correspondence in hope that someone
> else is familiar with the issuing label and might have more
> information on it. Mike Biel and Steve Smolian have ventured a fair
> amount on clarification on the Melodiya/MK situation, but this does
> not appear have anything to do with them, but rather something close
> to what is below.

The 1947 recording was made on 78s, and judging from the Testament
transfer had poor sound for its period. This CD was made 15 years ago,
and possibly a new transfer from the original parts (if they survive)
might improve on it slightly, but I doubt if there is much more to
extract.

So I would expect a Russian copy, whether made from 78s or from LP,
to be in very poor sound.

Regards
--
Don Cox