From: Michael Biel <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Medtner playing his 3rd Piano Concerto
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 10:58 PM

joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If you could send or post a scan someone could probably read it for you...
>
> joe salerno
>

> Punto wrote:
>> Apologies for the discographic question, but I have exhausted my other
resources at hand.

>> I have in hand an LP that is of Soviet origin, but not Melodiya/MK or
anything that I have seen previously. The acronym of the label name appears to
be something along the lines of BCT (with the "t" looking more like a
gibbet).

Before 1964 when the Melodiya trademark was developed for nationwide use, each
pressing plant had their own label and trademarks even though they were all
mainly pressing the same records.  This one is a two-tone blue label, right?
BCG stands for Vsyesayuznaya Studya Gramzapese or  All-Union Studio Record
Factory, and I think it was the newly established Moscow plant around 1962 which
later became known as Gramzapis.  This factory seems to also be the source of
the export pressings with the MK label around 1963 which were never available
inside the USSR since MK (International Books)  was the export agency of books,
records, and postage stamps.  Most pre-Melodiya LPs came from the Aprelvsk
factory (sometimes the AZ torch logo or CCCP/USSR), Leningrad (sometimes Akkord
or LZ) in cyrillic), and Riga (sometimes Ligo).
>> The catalog number is 06501/06502. I have been able to decipher that
it is Medtner playing his Piano Concerto no. 3, but I can't convince myself
that the rest stands for "Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Issay
Dobrowen", which is the only version that I have turned up elsewhere.Anyone
out there (Mike Biel, maybe?) that can tell me what I've got. If this it
indeed a Russian pressing of the Abbey Road Philharmonia recording, it has done
a pretty good job of overlaying it with a layer of acoustic sludge/fudge.

>> Thanks,   Peter Hirsch

All my Soviet books and guides are buried in disarray right now which is why I
haven't yet answered the Paul Robeson question over on 78-L from a few days
ago.  It is possible it is that British recording because they did do things
like that.  When I unearth the books and magazines, I'll look to see if
there are any indications of what this is.

Mike Biel  mbiel@xxxxxxxxx