Re: [ARSCLIST] Pre-wax tinfoils

Will Prentice wrote:

Does anyone know of any pre-wax (or at least "very old") tinfoil
recordings which have survived? We have one at the British Library which
is assumed to be circa. the dawn of recorded time, and I presume there
are others out there? All leads appreciated.

I have a small piece of tinfoil that was "printed" at a demonstration in Salem, Massachusetts, in May 1878, according to an attached note in my grandmother's handwriting, and I have often wondered whether any complete tinfoil recording from that era had survived. It would be fascinating to hear such a recording, and I would assume one could do that with today's technology. Has sound from any of those early recordings ever been recovered?

-- Jack Raymond