Re: [ARSCLIST] Pre-wax tinfoils

----- Original Message ----- From: "Prentice, Will" <Will.Prentice@xxxxx>
Does anyone know of any pre-wax (or at least "very old") tinfoil
recordings which have survived? We have one at the British Library which
is assumed to be circa. the dawn of recorded time, and I presume there
are others out there? All leads appreciated.

I doubt if many have done so...they were never recorded with any thought
of permanancy, and had to be VERY carefully handled to avoid audible
damage!

I should also note here that "tinfoil" would be more accurately named as
"tin foil!" In these modern days, we think of "tinfoil" as what is more
accurately called "alumin(i)um foil"...a paper-thin sheet of metal which
is used to wrap leftovers and such, which could NOT be used to record
sound...?! In fact,"tin foil" describes thin (but NOT paper-thin!) sheets
of tin, similar to the metal used to wrap corks on fancier bottles of wine!