Re: [ARSCLIST] DVD-R recommendations?

If you are referring to CD-R in your first paragraph, then I would agree
with you, especially if ageing is conducted at an unrealistically high
temperature of 80 degC (far in excess of the maximum specified in the Orange
Book.) Accelerated ageing tests conducted at realistic 60 degC and 85% RH by
Media Sciences show wide variations.

Cyanine/silver discs may be superior or terrible. Phthalocyanine/gold discs
may be very good or awful. It all depends on the process design and control
by the manufacturer. An older study by NIST concluded that
phthalocyanine/gold was superior while ignoring test results published in
the same paper showing that one phthalocyanine/gold brand (unnamed) gave the
worst results of all dye/metal combinations.

What needs to be added to the discussion is as-recorded quality. A very high
quality disc that ages gracefully is preferably to a poor quality disc that
is very stable. My point is that blindly relying on a single dye/metal
combination can lead to unsatisfactory results.

Jerry Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.