From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Brandon Burke
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:46 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] lacquer transfer

Seems more than a little invasive to me. I think a pass with a
trusted (read: mild) cleaning solution in a K Monks is about as
far as you want to go with regards to anything wet.

I'm all for doing whatever you can to secure a quiet capture; among
other reasons, to avoid the need for excessive digital "cleaning"
in post. Thinking long-term however, coating or spraying a disc to
make it quieter at playback sounds like it introduces more
problems than it stands to solve..

Brandon

On Nov 19, 2008, at 3:14 PM, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Has anyone ever found a coating or spray that can be applied to a
> lacquer to make for a quieter transfer, besides water?
>
> I seem to recall a presentation by Seth in which he mentioned
> Tascam pinch roller lubricant or cleaner as a possibility.
>
> joe salerno
>

> Eric Jacobs wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>> Just a note on Audiodisc blanks...  In my experience the Audiodisc
>> blanks seem to have more plasticizer than some of the other blanks.
>> This is purely anecdotal from transfering many hundreds of these
>> discs.
>> The extra abundance of plasticizer has benefits - the recordings
>> tend to be quieter than other blanks, and they seem modestly less
>> prone to laminate shrinkage and crazing due to plasticizer loss.
>> The down side is that they are more prone to palmitic and stearic
>> acid formation than other brands of blanks.  Again, this is purely
>> anecdotal / observation.
>> Per my other email, stable temperature and low humidity are more
>> critical for Audiodisc blanks than perhaps other brands (although
>> stable temps and low RH are important for storing all lacquer
>> discs).
>> Last, but not least, I would strongly recommend storing these discs
>> in base-buffered sleeves.  The base buffer in the sleeve will help
>> minimize or at least stave off the autocatylitic reaction associated
>> with palmitic and stearic acid formation, particularly if you don't
>> have the driest of storage conditions.
>> Eric Jacobs
>> The Audio Archive, Inc.
>> tel: 408.221.2128
>> fax: 408.549.9867
>> mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://www.TheAudioArchive.com
>> Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting

Brandon Burke
Archivist for Recorded Sound Collections
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
vox: 650.724.9711